Tips For Gently Encouraging
the Boil to Drain
This is probably the worst part of having a boil because as the pain increases, so must your patience. Waiting for the boil to drain on it’s own is very difficult sometimes, but trying to lance or squeeze it can force the bacteria further below the surface and make healing uncertain and scarring more likely. So, the next step is how to treat a boil at home to reduce the pain.
- Many doctors will recommend a warm soak or compress several times a day. This heat helps tissue expand and relieves some of the discomfort caused by pressure.
- Home remedies that may enhance the warm compresses include: betel leaf, castor oil, onion or garlic juice, parsley, cumin seeds, or a paste of cream, vinegar and turmeric.
- There are also some commercial products and salves that can help bring the boil to a head more quickly.
Once the Draining Begins
This is the part of the process that you can have more control over. The healing will begin quickly now as long as you keep the wound extremely clean. The bacteria in the drainage or pus can be passed to others, so be aware.
- Always wash your hands before and after treating the wound.
- Continue the warm compresses to keep the boil open.
- Clean the wound with an antibacterial soap, and dress it with something like Neosporin
- Change the bandage frequently, depending on the amount of discharge.
- Keep the wound covered until the draining has stopped and the opening has scabbed.
- Wash and dry all bedding and towels separately on the hottest settings.
- Keep surfaces where you treat your boil sanitized to prevent contamination of other people.
- Watch for the signs of infection. Complications from poorly treated boils can be serious
Take Care of Yourself
Helping your boil heal quickly is one thing, but finding the cause of your reoccurring boils is your real task. Think about ways you can bolster your immunity by taking better care of your body. Get rest, eat well, and find time for fun and relaxation. Buy some better fitting clothes and new razors if you suspect those as possible culprits. Do what you can to set your environment up for success, and never have to treat another boil.